Sunday, February 1, 2015

January Summary

The first month of the Winter term was highly successful class wise. For the first time in I don't know how long I managed to complete 6 classes. The only thing I am required to do was complete one class project to maintain my priority sorting status. Well, I kinda went a bit crazy. But that's okay since I'm not doing any Advanced Studies projects this term. I'm going to slowly ease my way back into things since last year was a complete lack of focus craft wise for me. Hopefully this month's focus continues for another two months. Maybe then I'll consider doing Advanced Studies in the Spring term (May to July).

First up is a black dragon egg inspired by the HBO show "Game of Thrones"... which is in turn inspired by the book series with the same name.  I still have one more egg to crochet and then I'll have a complete set.  Then I'll find some sort of container to put the eggs in.


Next up... baseball mitts in the colours of the New York Mets. The yarn and pattern was gifted to me during a Slytherin swap.  I ended up going down one needle size to achieve gauge.  I  also changed the lace pattern on the right mitt so the laces would mirror each other.  It wasn't that difficult.  I just had to pay attention.


Item number 3 is a crocheted hat that will be gifted to someone special.  She doesn't know it yet as it's a surprise.  I may be adding a patch to it but it hasn't been ordered yet.  This was a new pattern to me but it was written pretty well and soon I was able to crochet away without looking at the pattern much.  I could totally see myself crocheting a few of these to sell.  The designer has no problem with this but just requests that some mention be made that it's her design and a link to her page.


I have been wanting to knit this cabled scarf ever since I saw it on Doctor Who.  Amy Pond wears it during the episode "The Pandorica Opens".  It's knit with bulky yarn on large needles so it went fairly quickly.  The only thing that slowed me down was the cable rows.  I actually had to use a cable needle.  I do plan on making her gloves as well.


For the most part only Ravelry crafts (knitting, crochet, weaving, spinning, and dyeing yarn) are acceptable.  But sometimes the classes are setup for other crafts.  So for one class I made was a sewn project bag.  I still need to work on my zipper sewing skills but this one came out fairly well.  It's large enough to hold a cake of sock yarn.  This looks like another project I can make for sale since it doesn't take long to sew up.  If you don't have a Facebook account then just leave her a message and she will email the pattern to you.  That's how I got it.



And last but not least... this hat was knitted during the last few days of the month.  It went fairly quickly for fair isle knitting and I probably could have done it in a day if I had started earlier and there were fewer distractions.  I will be knitting one similar to this one but in different colours soon.  I already have it charted out and just have to start it.


So, yes, it's been a productive month craft wise.  I've already looked at the class prompts for February and have a few ideas brewing in the noggin.  So until next time...

No comments: