Saturday, January 4, 2014

Astronomy OWL

I just wanted to post my OWL request that once completed will enable me to gain the status of "OWL Mistress".  And of course, there was a racing tie in.  I am happy to announce that it was approved and I can start knitting socks tomorrow.  I had other projects that needed attending to today.

Name: GirlyWithATwist
House (or NQFY / SoS): Slytherin
OWL and option: Astronomy: Option 2: Interpret our solar system in fiber. Project/Pattern(s):
Sun: FirestarterThe Crew Chief
Venus: ChimaeraWolfe Boy
Moon: Lunar TidesThe RCD
Neptune: Seaweed SocksThat Pisces Girl

Sequence & Points of Consideration:
Tick-tock goes the clock. The time has finally come. What time you ask? Why, it’s time for the final OWL for OWL Mistress status. So of course I had to incorporate all three racing boys in this one. It didn’t take me long to remember that each astrological sign had a particular celestial body associated with it. That fact made it much easier to decide which celestial bodies to choose. So with this in mind, I have chosen to study the following four celestial bodies: the Sun, the Moon, the planet Venus, and the planet Neptune. Each celestial body will be represented by a pair of toe-up socks.

  • The Sun is typically associated with the sign of Leo (for the Crew Chief). Just like the Sun he is fiery and bright. I picked a fiery pattern and went with a colourway that matches his “Evil Genius” personality.
  • The Moon has its association with the sign of Cancer (for the RCD). The Moon affects the tidal waves here on Earth hence the pattern choice. The colourway just seemed to fit nicely.
  • The planet Venus is associated with the sign of Taurus (for Wolfe Boy). It has a cloudy surface which is represented by the white/grey in the yarn. The blue in the yarn is for his stunning big blue eyes.
  • The planet Neptune is the last planet in the solar system so it is only fitting that it be associated with the last sign of the zodiac, my sign of Pisces. It is also named after the Roman god of the sea. So I picked a seaweed pattern and a watery colourway that pretty much matches the colour of the planet.
  • The last time I did a pair of toe-up socks was February 2010. So my toe-up sock knitting skills are a tad rusty. Normally I knit socks cuff-down.
  • Proposed 50% Mark: 4 socks 

    Photos of yarn and swatch:
    Each swatch was done by completing the toe and no more than 1” of the pattern. Gauge was achieved with the needles mentioned.

    SoftnShiny Twilight Fingering Sock Yarn “Laser Screwdriver” with US size 1 1/2 (2.50 mm)

    Supernatural Yarns Siren Sock “Expecto Patronum” with US 1 (2.25 mm)

    SoftnShiny Midnight Sun Fingering Sock Yarn “She’s Stardust” with US size 1 1/2 (2.50 mm)

    SoftnShiny Midnight Sun Fingering Sock Yarn “Yellowknife Sky” with US size 0 (2.00 mm)

    No comments:

    From Colorado to North Carolina...

      Greetings from Mooresville, North Carolina!  We have lived here for about 4 months now and I am  still giddy over the fact that I am fina...