Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Finished At Last

Yarn: Cascade 220 Wool in Ruby Red
Needles: US 8 (5.00mm) and US 7 (4.50mm)
Modifications: Added a hood using US 8 (5.00mm) needles

Start Date: December 20, 2009
Finished Date: January 18, 2011


The only thing I did differently to the sweater was add a hood. And it was easier than I thought. Hopefully I can explain how I did it without confusing anyone.

The hood was added on after the sweater was completed.
1. With right side facing, I picked up stitches around the entire cast on edge. For me that was 87 stitches. I picked up stitches in the first row so that the hood would look as seamless as possible.
2.In the first row (wrong side facing), I increased 3 stitches to have a total of 90 stitches. I just needed an even number for the 3 needle bind off at the end.
3. The hood itself is just straight stockinette stitch with a garter stitch edge on both sides. I did an 8 stitch garter stitch border to match the garter edging on the body.
4. I continued until the hood measured about 14 inches. Then I divided the stitches in half on 2 needles and did a 3 needle bind off.

Hopefully this helps you add a hood to your February Lady Sweater should you desire. Of course now I have to add a hood to the blue one I have as it looks unfinished without one.

No comments:

From Colorado to North Carolina...

  Greetings from Mooresville, North Carolina!  We have lived here for about 4 months now and I am  still giddy over the fact that I am fina...